Friday, April 30, 2021

Kuils River: Sometimes You Have to Look Closer


 

The Informal Trading Hub

Ever since moving to Kuils River 4 years ago, I had made it my mission to walk the streets discovering the finer nuances of this quaint town, many hidden shops hold a surprising wealth of wares not commonly found in the bigger more commercialized stores. Imagine my delight coming across this tiny informal trading hub tucked behind the local mall, nestled in a parking lot surrounded by trees, the rich aromas of spices being sold wafting through the air, the hustle and bustle of customers darting from one stall to the other like bees harvesting pollen from a field of flowers, traders announcing their goods on sale in an attempt to attract the potential customer, as I walked between these stalls everything from food, clothing, electronics and household cleaning products were offered, sometimes at competitive prices to the surrounding stalls, one stall however stood out for me more than the rest, a second hand book stall! These books although preowned were in good condition and at such a bargain price, it was at this very bookstall I found a copy of a book I once owned but thought I had lost forever titled the Almanac of the Uncanny, since this occurrence I have made it a priority to visit this obscure little trading hub to search for such valuable gems.

This little market could fool you into thinking that it is just locals selling their wares, however it is closely situated to the local taxi rank so people from the surrounding areas all travel through here, it is a place where locals and foreign nationals coexist for the same purpose of earning a living, above and beyond I have witnessed this market transforming from a few stalls during the week to quite a large nest of stalls over the weekend, it never seems to lose its magic or charm.

1 comment:

Kuils River: Sometimes You Have to Look Closer

  The Informal Trading Hub Ever since moving to Kuils River 4 years ago, I had made it my mission to walk the streets discovering the fine...